Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Ice Packs for Injuries

Okay so I'm not really organized and this week's Works for me Wednesday is about kitchen organization.  But at least my tip is stored in the kitchen-

This tip was given to my stepmom by her physical therapist.  To make an ice pack that will stay really cold and is moldable to any place on your body that you can injure, use equal parts water and rubbing alcohol in a heavy duty plastic bag.  It will not freeze solid even if left in the freezer, though it may get slushy.  

This has saved me more than once.  I slipped coming down the stairs just the other week and I was able to make a couple of these ice packs and keep ice on my shoulder (which felt like it had been ripped out of its socket) for 12 hours almost straight.  The next day there was no swelling and it felt TONS better.  

Go over to Rocks in my Dryer and check out all the organization tips from every one else!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard this tip before; it's great! Thanks & Blessings, Whitney

MediMonsters said...

Great tip!! Found your blog through WWFMW--congrats on your adoption--and I am a NICU nurse too!! SAHM now---occassionally work per diem NICU.

Mary said...

My mother in law gave me a flannel bag filled with rice that I keep in my freezer...and put in the microwave if I need it warm.
But I like your idea for a cold compress better!

Unknown said...

Cool ---WOW you have been blogging like crazy! You okay? Loved your blue bunny bathroom story---those are classics. With little ones I will have to try your recipe for ice packs..I am so sick of bags with ice cubes all over my freezer! BTW---do you really think Jason and Jared came from the same home...he is like Mr. loves to eat nutritious stuff and hates too much sugar. Things that make you go..mmmmhh..

Melonie said...

Thanks for the comment love on my blog. I appreciate it! I'm glad to have found your blog. Congrats on your little guy. I love the pix you posted for his birthmomma. That is awesome. :-)

Tina - Ball Team Co-Captain said...

I keep a bag of peas in my freezer for an ice pack. They mold really easily to whatever part of you is hurting and we weren't going to eat them anyway...