Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Works for me Wednesday

I found this recipe on the internet for pancake mix and thought I'd share for Works for me Wednesday (sponsored by Rocks in my Dryer).  I've been really disappointed with whole wheat pancake mixes from the store because they're all so gritty and heavy.  Jared won't eat pancakes unless they're light and fluffy.  So, I used whole wheat from my food storage and ground it in my mom's wheat grinder on the finest setting.  I also added powdered eggs from our food storage.  You probably can substitute dry nonfat milk for the buttermilk powder, too.  They turned out EXCELLENT.  Jared didn't realize they were whole wheat (not a speck of white flour).  I keep the mix in the freezer and it's ready to go whenever I want pancakes.


* Exported from MasterCook *
BUTTERMILK PANCAKE MIX
Serving Size : 10
-----MIX INGREDIENTS-----
2 c Buttermilk powder
8 c whole wheat Flour
1/2 c Sugar, granulated
8 ts Baking powder
4 ts Baking soda
2 ts Salt
-----PANCAKE INGREDIENTS-----
1 Egg, beaten
2 tb Vegetable oil
1 1/2 c Pancake mix
1 c Water, or more -as needed
MAKE PANCAKE MIX:
Sift the ingredients together well.
Store in a container with a tight-fitting lid. 
(or in a freezer bag in the freezer)
MAKE 10 PANCAKES: Mix ingredients until blended together. Let it stand five minutes. Cook some pancakes. Eat and enjoy.
NOTES: * A make-it-yourself mix for buttermilk pancakes -- This recipe comes from the “More Make-a-mix Cookery” cookbook put out by HP Books. The premise of this book and its predecessor, Make-a-mix Cookery is that you can save time and money by making your own mixes for every stage of dinner planning. It seems to work.
Yield: 10 cups of mix of mix.
* Use the mix within 6 months of when you make it.
* The pancakes made from this mix aren't as sweet as those made from Aunt Jemima mix, but they are good. You can always add sugar, of course.
* Although we haven't tried this (yet), you could probably vary the recipe by using a different type of flour to make, for example, your own buckwheat pancakes.



I didn't mind that it's not a super sweet pancake, just because we always use syrup.  I also love putting blueberries or chocolate chips in.  If you're feeling adventurous, Jared's dad always used Kool-Aid in their pancakes when he was growing up.  That sounds gross to me, but I bet kids would love it!  Have fun making pancakes!

7 comments:

Totallyscrappy said...

The pancake recipe looks yummy. I like a whole wheat pancake. I'm not sure about the whole koolaid-in-the-pancake thing. Kinda weird.

Clint said...

I have a similar recipe but I use olive oil for the oil and we add blueberries.

Jodi said...

Ooh, I'm going to try this recipe. I love pancakes, but I've been thinking about how they're not very healthy. I'll give this a try!

JessieLeigh said...

Honestly? I think my husband would like the Koolaid in the pancakes. Scary, but true. ; )

Thanks for sharing this recipe! We've been working hard to incorporate more whole wheat flour into our diets.

Thanks, also, for sharing some insight on my blog. Very much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Your son is darling! Thanks for visiting my blog ;o)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a recipe I need to try. Even the Kool aid additions. I think my nieces would love this and call me a cool auntie.

Anonymous said...

Yum! Pancakes! Glad I found you blog! We should get together sometime considering we ARE neighbors and all. :)